Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Monday, April 02, 2007

Semana Santa Schedule

Semana Santa is the Easter holy week. Having finished my work, there wasn´t much to do but soak up the cultural events in the city and hang out with my friends. Here´s a look at my daily schedule:

9:30 AM: Wake up, perhaps mildly hung over
10 AM: Go to the market to buy food & check Internet
11 AM: Hang out and make lunch with my girlfriend Kamilla
5 PM: Hang around in my hammock for an hour or so
6:30 PM: Wander over to Quetzal Trekkers to cook dinner with my friends
8 PM: Start playing poker
1 AM: Finish playing poker for the night

So basically hanging out during the day, cooking dinner, and playing poker at night. Not bad. Special events included live music at El Divino Castigo on Tuesday, our Friday poker game at the beach, followed by the beach party and wet t-shirt contest at La Perla Negra. Sunday, of course, focused on the Easter celebrations in León.

So it was a great week and I´m having a lot of fun. This is, I must confess, a bit strange to me. When I came to Central America in January, I wasn´t expecting to have much fun. I thought I´d learn a lot and see a lot and feel challenged. And that´s how it was, at first. But I met some cool people, and my life just gradually got more and more social. I don´t regret the decision to pursue this lifestyle, or to deviate from the type of experience I suspected I´d have. Rather, I think that this type of experience is something I needed. I didn´t have a very social time when I was living in India; nor did I when I was working as a substitute teacher at home. So it feels good to get back to life: to have friends, to go out, to have fun. I´m really enjoying it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home