Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Reality of My Students´ Lives

Cristobal is one of my students at Las Tias. She´s a clever, cute little girl with dimples and bangs. Her favorite animal is the butterfly and she is absurdly good at jacks. She has a sweet demeanor and I always look forward to seeing her. Only sometimes, however, am I reminded of the daily difficulties my students (so smiley and playful in class) often face. This conversation really hit home with me, especially because she responded in her usual delightful way, for this is completely normal for her.

In English:
Hayden: Hello Cristobal!
Cristobal: Hello!
H: How are you?
C: I am fine, thank you. And you?
H: I am also fine.
C: Nice to meet you.
(We shake hands.)
H: And how old you are, Cristobal?
C: I am... nine... years old.

Then in Spanish:
H: Nine? I thought you were eight years old.
C: My birthday was last week.
H: When?
C: On the 12th of March.
H: Oh, well, happy birthday.
C: Gracias.
H: Entonces, did you do anything special for your birthday?
C: Nope.
H: Nothing? No party with friends or family?
C: Nothing.
H: Not in your house or at school?
C: Nope.
H: Why not?
C: ¡Somos pobres!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home