Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Monday, June 11, 2007

My 24th Birthday Party

On Saturday night in León, my friends and I got together to throw a party. Originally, the idea was that it would be a house-warming party for Rufus and Harry, who are now renting their own place. But when our group of friends heard from an anonymous source that my 24th birthday was coming up later this month, we added the celebration to the agenda.

Last year in India I celebrated my 23rd birthday completely by myself; I didn´t even speak of it once to another person. But the experience made me feel rather sad. And I vowed not to let my 24th, which might be spent alone again in a foreign land, slip away. So I took the opportunity to share it with my friends in León.

It was a big party for our standards, with approximately 25 attending. All the people in our scene were there. Harry, Rufus, and Adam: my closest buddies. All the Quetzaltrekkers volunteers, new and old. Bart and his girlfriend Veronique, the owners of Via Via. That Dutch girl whose boyfriend is in jail, or something. Not to mention many of the Nicas we know. And then some additions from outside: Karina, my Duke friend working in Masaya, and a couple of her friends. And Michelle, visiting from NY, with her friend Ian.

Harry and Rufus´ house was filled with more bottles of Flor de Caña rum than pieces of furniture. The only decorations to speak of were candles with seashells as holders. There was also a cardboard box filled with vodka jello shots. And there was a cake, a delicious chocolate birthday cake.

Best of all, I bought myself a piñata. I had wanted one for the longest time. But for all the other birthdays we celebrated I was somehow denied. So I went out and bought it myself: It cost US$6. It was a multicolored clown.

After several hours of hanging out and drinking, we sang the song and cut the cake. I also made a speech, as I am prone to doing, but this one was somewhat more sprawling than my previous farewell speech.

Then came the piñata, which Ian and Harry expertly operated. I was pretty drunk at this point, so I seem to remember the piñata beating me up. It was fun though. And lots of us took swings at it. Of course, it fell to Hannah, our resident tough girl, to split that clown open and send those candies sprawling across the floor.

Altogether, I had an excellent time, happy to celebrate with friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home