Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Monday, June 04, 2007

Newsflash: Back in León and Michelle is Here!

On Saturday morning, I returned to Nicaragua after a one month absence. I was excited to come back.

I proceeded from Costa Rica to the town of Masaya, where I met up with a friend from Duke, Karina. I walked around the markets with her for a while, purchasing the two hammocks I plan on bringing home. Then we hopped in a van, headed for Managua. We met up with another volunteer friend of hers, Maddy, from the States. After a big dinner and bigger conversation at a nearby fritanga, we headed out to the bars and clubs of Managua. It was my first time going out in this oft-intimidating city, so that was exciting.

The next morning, Sunday, I returned to León. Very excited to make this drive home. And who did I find on the street but my good buddies Harry and Rufus? They immediately invited me to stay in the new house they are renting. I strung up a hammock there, excited to be back among friends. The rest of the day was a blur of seeing old friends, catching up, wandering around. The rains have altered this once dry city. That night, of course, we cooked dinner and played poker: And I won 240 cordobas! Good to be back.

But most exciting of all, my good friend Michelle from Duke is here. Turns out my reports of Nicaragua have proven irresistible to her, and she came for a two week visit. First she´ll study Spanish at the Casa de Cultura (she has my same teacher, in fact!) Then we´ll head to the Isla de Ometepe next Sunday for a week of exploring Nicaragua´s famed and exotic volcanic island.

So it´s nice to be back in my adopted hometown, and I´ve got some fun things to look forward to.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger mbrigell said…

    you should come back to Managua before you leave with Karina and we can REALLY go out.... where the drinks are cheaper and the dancing better... some reggaeton, maybe some palo de mayo....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home