Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My Farewell Address

For my final night in León, I got together with some friends. Nine of us cooked up a big dinner together: tortilla chips and bean dip to start, then orange chicken and soy sauce, served on rice with carrots and broccoli. After our meal and beers, we headed out to La Olla Quemada for one last night of live music. But before we ate, I made a little speech to my friends at the dinner table.

Me: I have prepared a speech.

Hannah: Shouldn´t you be naked?

[I pretend to take off my shorts; the room gasps in fear.]

Me: I had prepared a speech for you all, based on the Roman Empire´s system of aqueducts, with the general theme being that what doesn´t kill you makes you stronger... unless you die. But I´m willing to set aside that topic in the interests of brevity.

Well, I want you to know I could have done this without you...

[Laughter.]

...but it was much more fun this way.

[Laughter and cheers.]

To my friends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home