Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Friday, April 06, 2007

Our Poker Addiction

My friends and I are, as a group, absolutely addicted to poker. I suppose the first step is admitting we have a problem. But really we don´t see it as a problem. We see it as a really fun activitiy that we all do together practically every night.

This is No Limit Texas Hold´em and the buy-in is 100 cords. Normally our table is between six and ten players. On occassion we´ve had 15 or 16 people come by, so we´ve started up a second table. But on average we have eight or nine regulars. At the table we´ve naturally identified each friend´s betting strategy and distinctive way of speaking; we spend lots of time playfully making fun of one another through imitation.

We played our first game on March 1. Over the next five weeks, we played 15 times. The pinnacle of run was Samana Santa when we played poker seven times in nine days; previously we were only playing twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays). On this Friday of Semana Santa, we played for six hours on the beach at Playa Roca. We all loved this since it provided with extraordinary ocean views and a steady supply of beer while we played. (Since it was windy, we used shells I collected to hold down the cards.)

I kept track of my winnings and after 15 games, I finished 65 cordobas ahead. (I spent, of course, way more than 65 cordobas on liters of beer and late-night hamburgers.) I consider this whole experience an extremely cheap and extremely fun poker education.

Aside from being unable to stop playing (our games last a minimum of four hours and have occasionally gone into the wee hours of the morning), poker language was also infiltrated the rest of our lives. Here are some examples of poker speech:

--Kolja: Hey, ja, can I buy-into this pasta dinner?

--Adam: So I was out at the bar and I was just talking to this girl and then all of a sudden she just dragged me out onto the dance floor.
--Me: So you just checked to her and then she raised you. Nice move.

--Rufus: Well, boys and girls, this has been emotional. I think it´s time for another cup of tea. Jump on in, boys and girls, the water is literally warm.
--Nick: I call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home