Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Friday, March 16, 2007

My Nicaragua: By The Numbers

It gives me much pleasure to reintroduce my popular summary of my traveling experiences by the numbers. Here´s a little numerical slice of Nicaragua:

The country
Population of Nicaragua: 5.1 million
Population of León: 185,000
Average daily temperature: 95 degrees

Costs in dollars
Monthly rent: $70
Montly bicycle rental: $25
Hammock purchase: $5

Costs in cordobas
Echange rate: $1 = C$18 (cordobas)
Movie ticket: C$30-8
One hour bus ride to Chinandgega: C$11
Internet (per hour): C$8-10
Speed of Internet in León: Purty fast
Phone call to America (per minute): C$1

Costs of food in cordobas
Lunch in a comedor: C$25-30
Dinner at the fritanga of Flor de Maria: C$12
One liter beer: C$30 in a bar (C$24 in a pulperia)
One liter bottle of Flor de Caña rum: C$130
Medium-sized pineapple: C$8
Avacado: C$5
Plastic bag of fresco from the market: C$5
Plastic bag of plantain chips: C$2
Plastic bag of water: C$1

My trip, my life here
Months in Nicaragua: 2.5 down, 3.5 to go
Jobs I have here: 3
Classes I teach a week: 15
Times I cook a week: 3
Times I check e-mail a week: 6
Frescoes I drank this week: 21!
Movies seen so far: 5
Poker games so far: 4
Buy-in to our poker game: C$100
Nights we normally go out drinking in a week: 3
Nights we went out drinking this week: Umm, all of them
How much fun it was: Umm, a lot

Volcanoes climbed: 2
Distance from León to the beach: 20 km
Time it takes to cycle out there: 1 hour
Trips to the beach: Every Saturday

Health
Weight: 160 lbs.
Weight lost so far: 0 lbs.!
Day in the country on which I started drinking the local water: 3
Illnesses caused by food or relating to stomach problems: 0!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home