Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Working with the Kids

I spend my day with children. Here´s a quick sampling:

At Proyecto Rocas:

I help out with homework, read stories, and play games with about a dozen children. Most of their parents work long hours in the market or in poorly paying jobs, so Rocas is a place where they can come to do their homework and participate in cultural activities when they aren´t in school.
  • I help Cristina de los Angeles, age 9, with her math homework. She´s doing multiplication and long division. When she gets stuck I remind her the siete por ocho son cincuenta y seis. (7 x 8 = 56.)
  • I read the book ¨Los Tres Cerditos¨(¨The Three Little Pigs¨) to Magna, age 6. He loves this story and we have read it MANY times already. I must confess I am also learning some Spanish vocabulary words here. I am getting good at my animal voices in Spanish, sounding like a big bad wolf and a flustered piggy.
  • After class, I ride my bike back into town alongside some of my students. Cristina´s sister Otilia, age 7, sits on my crossbar while I wobble my way down a steep dirt road. With my free hand I hold hands with Cristina or her brother Francisco, age 11, as they run along side the bike. I leave them at the main road where they turn for home, slapping them five as I go.

At Las Tias:

I teach an English class every afternoon for an hour. There are six students in my class between the ages of 8 and 11. Most of these children live have family situations that are for various reasons difficult, and so this is a good opportunity to provide them with some stability in their daily life. We do a short lesson with new vocabulary words and sentences, then sing songs or play games that I´ve designed to keep them interested. Kids are kids anywhere, and they really respond to this stuff.
  • When I arrive at school with my bicycle, Walter, age 9, jumps into my arms. Lester, age 11, runs in for a hug while Cristobal, age 8, plays with my hair.
  • I design our English sentences to be as instructive as possible, and I admit I am trying to cultivate in their young minds a particular worldview. Examples:
  1. My school is very good.
  2. The boys share the books to the girls.
  3. They write a story together.
  4. I like to play with my friends.
  5. I do not like to eat cheese.
  • We´ve learned the songs ¨Head Shoulders Knees and Toes¨and ¨Happy Birthday,¨ both of which they love. We sing them everyday. Children from other tables that aren´t in my class also have started doing the motions while they mumble along.
  • After the lesson we play the game ¨Red Light, Green Light¨ using the motions walk, run, jump, slide, and twirl. This is a favorite, and again, half the students from the school seem to be joining my class in the courtyard. (Thanks for the tip, Jen!)
  • If you have other ideas for games or songs that kids might like, please let me know (perhaps by leaving a comment!) I also need to come up with new diversions for them.
I´m with the kids so much that I sometimes forget where they come from and why they are here. It´s only occasionally that I remember, with the sight of worn clothing or a legion on the skin, that they are impoverished, at risk ¨streetchildren.¨Sometimes I catch some of them looking sad, and I remember the troubles that lurk beneath the smiling, smooth surface of their face. Most often, though, I just see them as the kids they are: silly and adorable and trying and hilarious.

It´s also been good for me to just volunteer directly with the kids this time around: I am here because I want to get to know them, and to help them if I can. In other situations while working or studying abroad, I´ve concerned myself with how these social organizations run, whether they´re operating appropriately, and how to deal with the egos and issues that inevitably result from that process. For now though, in this context, I am happy to ignore all that other stuff and simply spend my time with the kids themselves.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Other quality childhood games include Red Rover, where two teams hold hands in battle lines, and children try to break through. This game however can lead to serious clostheslining, and back injuries- but its still pretty awesome.

    Another is Virus Attack (but probably goes by other names). Hayden is the virus. All the kids start on one side of the field and have to run right by Hayden. If Hayden tags them, they are also viruses, and get to tag all of the other kids on the next go-around. The last uninfected kid is the winner.

    PS- glad all is well. XOXOXOXOX Carolyn

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Always a good idea to just think about the kids and forget about the institutions. We need that more than we think . . .

    as for teaching English, I made up a song about the colors to Frere Jaques (or however you spell it, I clearly don't speak French) which is good because they can naturally echo you:
    something like
    Red es rojo (red es rojo)
    Blue azul (blue azul)
    yellow amarillo (yellow amarillo)
    cafe brown (cafe brown)

    etc. . .

    Hope that helps!
    Kerry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home