Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Song of the City

Like all great cities, León has an official song. It´s entitled ¨Viva León Jodido. The people sing it at baseball games, fiestas, and other events where it´s appropriate to show some civic pride. (León of course means lion en español.) Here is a look at the chorus of this song, which I´ve translated to the best of my ability:

Por todo el oro del mundo
no cambiaria mi León
pues lo quiero con amor profundo
y es el cerebro de todo mi nación;
León puede ser abatido pero nunca vencido
¡Viva León, jodido!

For all the gold in the world,
I would never change my León
For I love it with deep affection
and it is the brains of my nation;
León may be knocked down but never defeated
¡Viva León, jodido!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home