Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Fifteen Things You Should Know

Here are some things (15, to be precise) that you should know about my first week in Nicaragua:
  • It´s 94 degrees during the day and 66 degrees at night. It´s the dry season and sometimes rather windy.
  • León is a city of cobbled avenues, huge murals on buildings, and houses brightly colored in reds, blues, yellows, and greens lining a single street.
  • The fruit (especially bananas and oranges) here could not be more delicious. Or cheaper.
  • There is a green parrot at my homestay that speaks more Spanish than I do and occassionally tries to bite my finger.
  • I started drinking the local water on my third day in the country.
  • Bells (whether from the nearest church or from the itinerant ice cream man) seem to be going off at all times.
  • I´d say roughly 70% of the words I say are the same: si. I can say it three different ways: si, ¡si!, ¿si? (Please note: Speaking in a foreign language is likely to give one a headache.)
  • Walking down the street it is possible to buy various plantain-themed foods: Plantain chips are two cordobas while a fried plain wrapped in a banana leaf is five cordobas.
  • The first billboard I saw on my ride into Managua from the airport: ¨JESUS -- Señor de Nicaragua¨
  • Someone has taken the time to translate an awful lot of very mediocre American television into Spanish.
  • This is a country that really understands the true essence of hammocks and rocking chairs.
  • My backpack is incidentally the same colors of the flag of the Sandinistas (red and black).
  • In most social situations people address each other using the informal (tu) form rather than the formal (usted).
  • Baseball is the most popular sport here and I´ve already seen several men walking around with Mets caps and Mets jerseys. Let´s go Mets! ¡Vamos los Mets!
  • No necesito para mi comprar bicleleta por que mi casa esta no lejos de la escuela, solamente a diez minutos a pie. Tal vez en el futuro.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger madeleine said…

    like that the first comment is about the weather. that is so great.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Emily Maynard said…

    !Si! Si tu vives muy cerca de tu escuela, entonces no necesitas comprar una bicicleta ahora. Tal vez en otro momento.

    Hello, Hayden! Good to hear that you are alive and well and getting your first glimpses of America Latina. Your impressions pretty jive with what I've seen in my travels down south, and yes, there's a whole lot of Jesus, everywhere (if they ask, you can remind people that he was a Jew, too).

    --Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home