Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Hayden's Theory of Adventures






I've been reading extensively this year, and I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that the world is significantly more boring now than it used to be. Don't get me wrong: I still think it's fascinating beyond measure. But just 200 years ago, a young man my age could come to India and really have himself an exciting adventure: He could start out with nothing, raise an army, visit remote kingdoms, court princesses, build palaces, and generally live it up. Now, that's not possible. (Trust me, I tried.) Alas, the days of plunder and glory are over. Likewise, even the Free Love Era of the Sixties seems misguided and outdated.

So, what to do? What to do? I believe that our generation has been called toward a different type of adventure. It's much less glamorous and profitable. It's an adventure of ensuring human rights, fighting global health epidemics, and promoting sustainable and environmentally friendly forms of development. These are the new and pressing challenges before us. To do this, we must engage respectfully across cultures, link up with progressive leaders, and consider the attitudes and inclinations of diverse populations. For this reason, I’ve come to really value the way in which we see foreign places and engage with the local people. It's all about how we meet each other, how we interact, how we share. So an immersion into this task, and a greater understanding of how we can collaborate, is one thing that I hope to gain from my travels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home