Hayden Abroad

Dispatches from Somewhere in the World

Friday, April 27, 2007

¡Finishing ¨El Alquimista¨!

Cuando una persona desea realmente algo, el Universo
entero conspira para que pueda realizar su sueño.

Well, I´m proud to report that I´ve achieved a major goal of mine for my time here: to read Paulo Coehlo´s ¨The Alchemist¨ in Spanish. The book is titled ¨El Alquimista¨ in español; it was originally written in Portuguese but the story of course begins in Spain.

I was pretty pleased to do it, and it didn´t give me much trouble at all: I read the book in only six days. Of course it helped that I had read the book a half dozen times in English. But this, the first book I´ve read in Spanish that´s more than 200 pages long, proved to be quite an easy read. I found I only needed to look up a few words per page, instead of, say, a few words per sentence. I think I´ll now try and read other books by Coehlo in Spanish since his writing style (e.g. simple words, short sentences) is straight-forward.

And one day, perhaps, off in the future, I´ll be reading Neruda, Garcia Márquez, and Cervantez in Spanish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home